Translate

Thursday 18 July 2013

Vintage Voodoo


Any sense of idleness was heavily reprimanded.  With good intentions, our grandmother and aunt wondered very openly why we never did things. Things. You know all those things: stitching, drawing, crocheting.  And if we tried to we never felt at ease because their criticism then changed to them thinking that we were doing those things “for show”.  We were so flummoxed as to how to please them.

But I think I am ready to teach myself some embroidery, because it will still my mind.  Elizabeth Bennet and all those other women, fictitious and real, who have come before me would prick fabric in the absence of voodoo dolls.  Some of my memories, recent and ancient, are still causing me to have sleepless nights, when everyone, including my precious, baby-girl, my flower of my flesh sleeps away.  I am doing this to please only myself, for I long to add something pretty to this cluttered "Pemberley". 

3 comments:

  1. I unfortunately understand the wanting to please others and I am happy to read you are doing something that is pleasing to yourself ~ busy hands letting you create what fills your thoughts ~ we should have pretty things around that make our heart smile ~ would love to see your creation, if you were to feel comfortable :) Believing our best days are ahead ... Judi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I intend to post what I create. But It will be a while yet. But "The Graphics Fairy", a blog I follow has some embroidery patterns, and i think I found something I can actually do. Actually the image of the girl sewing, is also from "The Graphics Fairy".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Graphics Fairy and have followed her for a long time! Glad to hear too that you will be sharing your project ~ I love to see what others create and it motivates me keep my hands active ~

    ReplyDelete