Translate

Tuesday 23 July 2013

A Walk to Netherfield

I often walk around our neighbourhood, now as a way of simply getting some Vitamin D with the little one in tow.  In former years it used to be a way of getting exercise, and sometimes an excuse to buy a bunch of flowers from a local flower shop. On the way, there is this impressive house, with a well-kept lawn, and a brick that is just faintly pink in colour.  It contrasts very nicely against the cream trim and columns.  Although the 1995 BBC production of Pride and Prejudice shows Netherfield Park to be a house of rich red brick, somehow I have always called this particular house in the neighbourhood, “Netherfield”. And guess what? It is on sale and it has been so for quite some time.  But unlike the house in my favourite novel, it has NOT been let at last.  I suppose it must wait for some Bingley with deep pockets who boasts a heart of a still greater depth.  Every time I walk by I can picture an elegant Darcy pacing on this lawn.  The Green Lawn.  

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy looking at other houses, especially those of grandeur where my imagination lets me dream ... I have lived in brick houses for 20+ years and never ever considered the faint pink color of brick ~ I enjoy the world through your eyes ~ Judi

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are kind to me as always, Judi. Glad you like my view of "la vie en rose".

    ReplyDelete