Translate

Sunday 14 July 2013

Hugging, Lightning and Farewell

I was eleven when we moved to Canada.  I remember our grandparents crying at some train station.  That was the first time we seemed to witness the novel concept of hugging.  I remember our last night in the house in which I grew up. There was a power outage that night, which wasn’t so novel. But there was an amazing display of thunder and lightning, which was terrifying.  Lightning struck the road in front of us as well as the tree that was in front of the neighbour’s house.  One of the branches caught fire and fell to the ground.  We had not even left the house in which I grew up and already it seemed to threaten to crumble in our wake.  I remember mummy mentioning that it was our last night in our home.  I remember that our father mentioned something about how we must be together as a family.  He said that by all means we could all live our own lives, but the reason why we four had been put together was because our experience of life would be better as a whole unit. It was as if he knew and feared what was coming.  The independence of the three women before him. 

2 comments:

  1. When I look back I often wonder why certain memories are so clear and others are more vague ~ and sometimes the memory was my version and not the same as my siblings ~ love the last line ~ paints a clear picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about memories. I can't remember what we ate for dinner yesterday, but I remember cleaning my hands on my mother's clothes at my uncle's wedding.

    ReplyDelete