Translate

Monday 15 July 2013

Tangible Impossible Ordinary

I grew up understanding that a marriage was an agreement between two people and two families. I was told that love and romance were only things seen in the movies. And children were only impediments to one’s life.  In addition to all this, we were taught to go after professional ambition rather than be like all the stupid neighbourhood girls and dream of love and marriage and babies.  I learned that mothers-in-law made you slave away with housework and are always after one’s jewellery and valuables.  With such unromantic thoughts being circulated around me it is indeed a wonder that I married for love or managed more than just a vague inclination for poetry.  In fact it is more than an ordinary miracle that my mother-in-law and I get along so well that she seems more like a fairy-godmother than an in-law.

2 comments:

  1. I think we have the free will to make our own choices regardless of what we are taught although very difficult ~ It's wonderful that you broke free of the ideas of your youth and created a different life for yourself ~ Enjoy the week ~ Judi

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so nice of you to comment on my posts. Stayed tuned for the neuroses :) for I don't know if I have broken free completely.

    ReplyDelete