Translate

Thursday 11 July 2013

Mango Storm

        When there were power outages in our grandparents’ home, it was more of an adventure rather than a case of stress and anxiety. I remember a major spring storm with lightning, hail, wind and of course rain. In the morning, I remember my grandfather, my sister and my aunt all picking up green mangoes from the ground that had fallen all over the fields. I believe one or two of the eucalyptus trees had also fallen before their prime.  I remember that some of the mangoes from the neighbour’s tree had rained on our lot, and hence somebody was sent over to our place to pick up some of these wounded fruit. To me it felt like a party but I dared not mention that to anyone. Why mess with a good thing, especially when the very next moment could be spent with me thinking how horrible my sister and I truly were and how undeserving we were of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment